Thursday, June 24, 2010

Needle In a Hay Satck!

Well, we are home from a long 40 hours of Emergency room, hospital and surgery drama.  On Saturday June 19th, Brooklyn stepped on a hidden quilting needle, buried deep in our carpet.  She cried when it happened and ran to me for comfort.  After a big kiss and an examination of her foot and a band aid, she was "all better".  No complaints Sunday and nothing on Monday morning.  So we went to Disneyland to play.  She walked around the park all day and had a blast with her sisters.  Toward the end of the day, Brook started limping on her right foot.  We got home and I took off her shoes to look at the foot.  I was surprised to see her little foot red and swollen.  She would not let me touch the top of her foot because it hurt so bad.  So I asked Eddie if maybe he thought the needle may have broken off inside her foot.  He realized the same time I did that when we found the needle after the accident, it was indeed broken.  It had not even dawned on us that the piece was inside her foot.  BUT IT WAS!

We took her to the CHOC Hospital emergency and there we waited for 4 hours.  We had Xrays that showed us the foreign object.  Then they debated on surgery in the ER, and finally around 3 AM, they admitted us into the hospital to wait for an orthopedic surgeon to do the surgery the next day.  There was also a possible infection in her foot and they wanted to keep an eye on that.


Brook was not complaining about her foot at all (little trooper).  But what did hurt both her and mommy was the IV.  That was my night mare.  My poor little baby.

I am so glad we chose to go to CHOC, they made the experience so much easier, keeping her happy with toys and fun things to do and watch.  Candyland and My Little Ponies were her favorite.



Surgery lasted maybe 15 minutes.  It was a tiny incision on the top of her foot and it was all over.  However seeing her put to sleep was so funny.  I know, I should not laugh, but a drunken 3 year old is silly.  Her waking up was not so fun.  I walked into recovery to see 4 nurses trying to hold her down.  Poor baby.  Luckily they had stroke of genius and put Dora on a mini TV and gave her a Popsicle.  That helped....oh and the 2 doses of sedative to calm her also helped a little.





Juice boxes helped as well.

She also got to meet some of the Angels baseball team.

Now she is home and we are happy it is all over.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! What an adventure you guys had. I can't even imagine. We had a similar experience, although not as scary. It took us about 5 days before we realized a fall off a bike had broken Isaac's arm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Glad she is all better! I love CHOC too! They are great with children, especially if you need to get an IV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it! What a little trooper you have. I'm glad to hear that she's doing okay!

    ReplyDelete