Friday, May 28, 2010

Keeping Preschooler's Busy.....it is easier then you might think



Today was one of those days where Sutton kept me busy all morning. Not really allowing me to do much else but tend to her needs. This does not go over well with my 2 preschooler's. When Jacquelynn and Brooklyn are left unattended for any length of time, they tend to lose their little minds and do as many destructive things they can fit into the time they are unattended. A preshcooler is always curious, full of energy, very stubborn (in a good way), and always up for adventure. To quote my 4 year old, "Adventure is out there". While they do tend to get into trouble, they don't need the constant monitoring that they once did while they were toddlers. They have found a little bit of Independence. There are ways that a Domestic Engineer can keep her little preschooler entertained while at home. There a lots of ways. You just have to get a bit creative.

Today was a day I had to engage the two girls in something fun and creative. My girls love getting into the bathroom sinks and playing in the water. So, playing off that joy, I cleared off the kitchen counters, put a beach towel on the floor right under the sink, set the kitchen table bench up for them to stand on and put another towel on the bench. I filled both sides of the sink with warm sudsy water and gave them some plastic cups, spoons, straws, bowls and other fun things I could find and just let them have at it. After all, it is just water. Well, the end result was about an hour of good clean (wet) fun. I only let them go an hour because we had to pick up Madison from school, otherwise the could have gone longer. This was awesome! They had a blast and I was able to ttend to Sutton while watching them have a great time.

Sometimes we let these fun years of our kids lives pass us by with out stopping to enjoy the things that make preschoolers unique. I am choosing to stop each and every day to have a little fun with my crazy, lovable preschoolers.

1 comment: